Friday, June 02, 2006

Okay, okay, okay

After those two good posts by DM (aka IB), how can I not post . . . something?

Well. So. It's another big food and drinks day here at Happy Valley Law. There's gonna be some kind of lunch meeting where, rumor has it, the firm is providing pizza, probably, or something equally inducive of rapid weight loss. Then, later this afternoon, they're hosting an hors d'oeuvre and champagne toast in honor of the anniversary of their founding, which wasn't so long ago.

Okay. So. You're probably wondering whatever happened to my fabulous job at Buymore Pharmaceuticals. Friends, I barely even lasted a year. In fact, I gave my notice the day before I marked my year anniversary of joyous and meaningful employment. After 54 weeks of pure unmitigated foolishness, Big Pharma and I finally parted ways. What did I learn in those 54 weeks, you ask. Two absolutely astounding things:

1. Law firms aren't such bad places to work after all (Really. That's how damn ridiculous it was), and

2. If Buymore is typical of how biiig-ass corporations "work," this country is in even more serious, fundamental trouble than the present administration is trying its hardest to bamboozle you into not believing.

So. There you go. I'm back at a law firm, which isn't anything like W...hell. At least not yet. It's better than W...hell. At least for now. I mean, I've only been here 5 weeks or something. So far, there's been 3 parties - with booze! On Staff Appreciation Day they gave us all (even me! the newbie!) iPod shuffles.

What's that old saying about bread and circuses? Something about iPods being the opiate of the staff? Or something?

Meanwhile, here's the best quote of the day:
Receptionist (moving files into the empty office across from me): I have to move because they're using my desk as a bar.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

Wait, so your employers are attempting to make their employees happy? By giving them things? And trying to make stuff fun???

Wow. What a concept. I need to find a job where I am not treated like a a flamming bag of dog poo

2:00 PM  
Blogger luckybuzz said...

Holy crap. 3 booze parties in 5 weeks, AND an iPod? I am SO in the wrong field.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home