Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dream On

I'm not a big Aerosmith fan. Actually, I'm not an Aerosmith fan at all. I didn't even know they did Dream On until I went googling around for a clever title for this post. I'd been thinking of Dream This Way or Janie's Got A Dream, because that's about all I knew of their discography. But I was wrong. Dream On was a big Aerosmith hit back in 1973.

All this is by way of saying that last night I had an Aerosmith dream. I've never had an Aerosmith dream before, though I'd be willing to bet that lots of people have. I did see Steven Tyler once in real life. He attended a lecture I was at and during intermission strutted around with his entourage. He'd tied a long, brightly-colored, flowing scarf around his neck, thereby making himself look just like you'd expect him to.

In my particular Aerosmith dream, I was with my friend Mandy O'Brien, the tinkly mandolin player. Steven Tyler and, I believe, the rest of Aerosmith were critiquing Mandy's performance. I don't know why, because in real life, Mandy O'Brien is a bluegrass/bluesy kind of guy, not a big rawk fan. But there Steven Tyler was, insisting Mandy's between-song banter was just not political enough.

"Uh huh," Mandy said.

The next thing I knew, Mandy and I were in his truck. In real life, Mandy doesn't own a truck. In fact, Mandy doesn't own a car. But, Dreaming On, we got in his truck and sped away. I was happy to be supporting my friend in his hour of total pissed-offedness, but I was also puzzled to be so supportive when I was so looking forward to singing for Steven Tyler.

Again, we're so obviously Dreaming On, because I can't sing, and if I could, the last thing in the world I'd want is anyone - and I mean Any. One. - to critique me. Unless they were deaf. Then it might be bearable. For them. For me.

Does this mean that I caught one too many episodes of So You Wannabe A Rock Star or whatever that show was that Dave Navarro sold his soul for? And I so used to like him.

Cosmically, I think I'm on to something here, though what it might be is elusive and mystical (as, apparently, am I, thanks to Luckybuzzz). Janie Has A Dream. Jane's got some kind of Addiction to dreams.

Oh yeah. Maybe I should just get back to work.

2 Comments:

Blogger luckybuzz said...

Awesome. You are elusive, mystical, and highly entertaining.

"thereby making himself look just like you'd expect him to."

I saw Steven Tyler in an airport (in LA, I think, heading to Boston), and he looked exactly like you'd expect him too then, too. Except skinnier.

11:13 AM  
Blogger dirty martini & tequila fog said...

Funny that you had a Steven Tyler dream last night...I had a dream that I had Steven Tyler hair...very, very frightening.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home